Monday, December 21, 2009

Holiday in Hogtown


This time every year I make the pilgrimage to my home town. The place where my family still lives, the town that taught me to love bicycling, Gainesville, Florida.

It's been more than 10 years since I've called Gainesville home, but so many things going on in my life today tie back to the most land-locked city in Florida.

Maybe it's the year round warm weather, the relatively flat terrain or the tens of thousands of college students who ride to class that make this town a great place to bike. Either way, it's a wonderful place to get around on two wheels.

Somehow when I was about 16 or 17 I stumbled into a bike shop and began working my way up in the ranks as a "shop rat". To this day when I see the owner of that shop he refers to me as a former shop rat, a title I've become pretty proud of. From there it was bike shop jobs in college, organizing bike rides in DC, and eventually advocacy.

This year I wasn't in town long enough to ride, but I did get the chance to do some great running, fishing, and even a little cooking and eating. Mark my words, this year I'm going to try and make it back south during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment