Sunday, November 29, 2009

Turkeys, Puppies, and Bike Art Oh My!

After a surprisingly easy flight, I've made it home from lovely Greensboro, NC where I spent Turkey Day with my immediate family. Lots of food (no turkey), good wine, and an all around wonderful time with my parents, sister, and new dog-nephew Winston.

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons I got into bikes was because I needed a way to burn off all of the good food my family likes to cook. I'd go into detail about all the tasty things we made this week, but i'll leave that up to my sister at www.modmealsonmendenhall.com. She's planning to detail our thanksgiving menu (including the pommes Anna that mom and I managed to spill on the floor to the dogs delight) over the course of the rest of the week.

My sister has been dabbling in bicycle advocacy recently as she works for Action Greensboro, a non-profit group that works to build community in the area. They have been working hard to complete a really nice greenway project that I went down and checked out. My favorite part of it so far is the fabulous sign pictured above. Call me crazy, but it looks like those people are running for their dear lives from that bicyclist!!

Greensboro also seems to have a decent number of bike nerds, especially in Westerwood the cute downtown neighborhood where my sister lives. Some of them are subtle (I spotted an old skip tooth chainring and crank on a neighbor's garage door) and some are a little more in-your face and the photo below shows. My sister claims you can get on and ride the statue as a stoker and it works, but I didn't really want to cause a scene on a holiday!

Hope everyone had a super fantastic Thanksgiving. I know i'm extremely thankful to have a great family who I have such a good time with. Maybe one of these days i'll get them out for a bike ride!

1 comment:

  1. Nice compliment to GSO. You can check out our Downtown Greenway (under construction) at www.downtowngreenway.org

    ReplyDelete